The Old Gaol & Museum

Gaol4 300x175Now fully restored, the Gaol is a complex of men’s cell blocks and some warders' quarters, built in 1852 for Imperial convicts shipped to WA as artisans and skilled labourers.
Women’s cells, the Great Hall and more warders' quarters were constructed of brick between 1872 and 1875. At this time the complex was also used as a colonial prison.
The Gaol was last used as a police lockup in the Great Depression of the 1930s. Extensive restoration from 1989 to 1996 returned the Gaol's condition to its original state. Cells, warders' quarters and the Great Hall contain displays pertinent to the times and usage of these stark quarters.

For a night tour, phone John on 0407 387 484 or Joy on 9841 4180
Open : 10.00am - 4.00pm Daily #
Admission Prices : Adults $5.00 Concession $2.50 Child $2.50 Family $12.00 Children under 6 years free