The Anglican church of St John the Evangelist was the first to be consecrated in WA. The ceremony was conducted by Bishop Augustus Short on October 25, 1848. Although Short was the Bishop of Adelaide, his vast diocese included the whole of Western Australia, which then had just eight clergymen, four church buildings, with five under construction, one parsonage and one school.
Albany’s official postal service began on October 14, 1834 when Sarah Lyttelton, wife of the State’s assistant surgeon, was appointed honorary postmistress. The following year, Edward Spencer became the paid incumbent at £10 year plus £5 expenses. In 1852 Albany became the mail port for Western Australia and the first contract deliveries were shipped by the Australian Company’s boat Australian and P&O’s Chusan and Formosa.
In 1867, after prolonged negotiations with the Perth administration, Government Resident Sir Alexander Cockburn-Campbell, succeeded in his requests for a government office building, to include a post office, court house, municipal and road board meeting rooms and a customs house. Work began in April 1868 and was completed in December 1869, when the eastern part of the building facing Spencer Street, was erected by George Adams and James Mattison at a cost of £4,184/18/9.