Nyabing is a small township in the Shire of Kent with a population of approximately 206 people (2006 census), located on the Katanning-Pingrup Road 320km south east of Perth and 190km north of Albany. Its name derives from the Noongar word (ne-yameng) for the everlasting flower Rhodanthe manglesii.
Coordinates: 33°32′31″S 118°09′00″E
The first known Europeans to visit the area were sandalwood cutters in the late 1860s, while the initial lease of 2,000 acres was taken by Captain John Hassell around Cairlocup Lagoon in 1873. The townsite was planned in 1911 when the Great Southern Railway created a nearby siding originally called Nampup – a Noongar word for the local soak. However, a number of people complained saying the name was too similar to Nannup, so the town was renamed Nyabing and finally gazetted on December 24, 1912.
A number of old buildings remain in the region including the town hall (built 1915) Nyabing War Memorial and the old school building (built 1912) which is now used as the town’s Brownie’s hut. Situated in Memorial Park on the town’s main street is the Grader Monument - the first horse-drawn grader used in the area, bought in 1923.
For further information, contact the Shire of Kent on 08 9829 1051 or http://www.kent.wa.gov.au/