Narrikup WA

Coordinates: 34°46′26″S 117°42′07″E

Narrikup is a small town in the Shire of Plantagenet, 33km north of Albany and 376km south of Perth. The 2006 census recorded the town's population as 515. Narrikup's name is derived from a Noongar word meaning place of abundance. The first recorded European activity in the area was on December 3, 1829, when Royal Navy surgeon Thomas Braidwood Wilson, camped for the night on the banks of a stream west of the present townsite.

During the late 1860s, three properties were established in the district, but the first major increase in population occurred when the Great Southern Railway opened in 1889. The Narrikup railway siding was originally called Hay River. In 1905 the regional surveyor reported several settlers were interested in acquiring land at the Hay River siding, so 20 lots were surveyed. The townsite was gazetted two years later and named Narrikup.

Narrikup’s first registered business was established in 1919, when Sam Jolly began operating from a galvanized iron shed near the siding. As the district grew so did his business and in 1922 he transferred to a larger building on the Hay River Road, which is still in operation today. Nowadays, Narrikup’s traditional sheep and cattle farming is giving way to wildflower propagation, cherry orchards, vineyards, plantation forestry and alpaca and ostrich farming. The town’s limited services include a post office, general store/cafe, community hall, children's playground, park and picnic areas and sports facilities.