Peter's Chewy ANZAC Biscuits
Peter from Albany (Great Southern) Peter’s a veteran, and head of the Albany sub-branch of the RSL. He was one of three men responsible for securing the funding for Albany Centenary Projects.
His recipe below was found on http://biggerpicture.regions.wa.gov.au/Region-Recipes/Recipe-3. Checkout all the other recipes as well.
Preparation Time : 10mins
Cooking Time : 10 mins
Makes 20 biscuits
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 125g honey
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius and line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Add flour to a large bowl and stir in oats, coconut and brown sugar.
- Chop butter and put in a small saucepan with honey and 2 tablespoons of water.
- Stir over a medium heat until melted and combined. Stir in bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the butter mixture into the flour mixture and mix until combined. If you have time, allow the mixture to stand for 30 minutes in a refrigerator.
- Roll level tablespoons of mixture into balls and place on baking trays about 5cm apart.
- Press with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Set aside on the trays for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Peter’s tipHe always uses local honey and spelt flour from the Albany Dutch Mill.